- Ph.D., Graduate School of Biotechnology, Korea University, Korea
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, USA
- Assistant Domain Member, Donald Danforth Plant Science Center, USA
- Unit Leader, Regulatory Network Research Unit, RIKEN Plant Science Center
- Unit Leader, Regulatory Network Research Unit, RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science (-current)
Outline1) Dissection of signaling cascades in plant response to potassium
Our unit aims to elucidate the components of plant potassium sensing and deficiency signaling in Arabidopsis using various approaches.
2) Development of new methods for radiocesium remediation and analyses of regulatory components for phytoremediation
In order to develop efficient phytoremediation system for radioactive cesium in Fukushima area, we aim to develop plants which selectively and more (less) efficiently absorb cesium from contaminated soil. In addition, chemical screenings to elucidate the chemicals which affect cesium uptake in plants has been conducted. From the results obtained, the regulatory components of cesium uptake in plants are being studied.
3) Development of rice with improved nitrogen-use efficiency and elucidation of regulatory mechanisms of plant nutrient utilization
Nitrogen (N) is the major nutrient for plant growth, and lack of N has entailed increased use of N fertilizers. However, increased fertilizer usage does not result in comparable production increase. Furthermore, excess fertilizer run-off creates soil pollution, and growing ecological awareness necessitates new solutions to increase agricultural production without endangering the environment. Another pressing matter is the achievement of food security via sustainable agriculture. As one solution to these issues, we aim to develop rice plants that grow well under nitrogen-limited conditions and efficiently utilize other macronutrients.
- Dissection of signaling cascades in plant potassium sensing and signaling
- Development of new methods of radiocesium remediation and analyses of regulatory components of phytoremediation
- Development of rice with improved nitrogen-use efficiency and understanding regulatory mechanisms of plant nutrient utilizations